FVJen

Archangel's Legion
Nalini Singh
Princess Charming - Nicole Jordan Ashton and Maura

Review on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews

Princess Charming starts out with a pretty interesting plotline. The story is about 5 brothers/sisters/cousins that come from a family destined to only find true love once. In every past member of their family the person has either found only one true love or sadly has never found anyone. When his parents and his cousins’ parent are killed, Ashton Wilde, Marquis of Beaufort is left as the oldest member of the two families. They do have an absent minded uncle to watch over them however Ash is the main focus when it comes to the rest of the group.

Ashton’s sister Katharine has come up with a theory that each member of the family will find their true love based upon the stories of legendary lovers in history or literature. She believes that if they follow those tales it will lead each of them to their true love matches.

So the plot hooked me right away. I thought it was a pretty cute idea to have a series where each member would love based upon the stories of famous lovers. There could be tons of examples- Romeo and Juliet, Cinderella, Tristan and Isolde, Lancelot and Guinevere. I kind of became a little excited about this series. We start with Ash and Maura, a school friend of Katharine’s, and the story of Cinderella.

Unfortunately, the book just fell flat for me after the initial chapters describing the plot. Maura is a poor friend that is running her family’s horse breeding program after her father’s death. Maura’s step mothers sells their prize stallion out from under her thus destroying any future their breeding program might have. Ashton overhears Maura trying to buy the stallion back from one of the gentlemen at a party. The man had some not so nice ways to suggest Maura earn the horse back and Ash steps in to rescue her.

Maybe it was the story centered on the horse that made it slow for me? That part just wasn’t interesting or exciting. I couldn’t really get into what Maura was feeling and her desperation when it came to getting that horse back. There was just no connection with her. Everything was so dramatic when described by her but when read by me, it wasn’t dramatic. It was just ho-hum.

And speaking of no connection with her, I never did get where and when Ash decided he wanted her. She had been a friend of the family for a while and he mentions that he had given her a glance or two but this desire to become her rescuer and lover all at the same time seemed forced. It was almost like as soon as he heard his sister say Cinderella to him it all fell into place. There was no development of their relationship. On page 20 he just decided he wants her and is going to kiss her. Totally out of the blue and unexpected. It seemed like the feelings were only there because they had to be to push the plot along not because they were worked on or happened over the course of time.

So while the book wasn’t bad it wasn’t really exciting either. It was easy to put down and hard to pick back up because I didn’t really see it going anywhere. Final grade- C

Favorite Quote:

Yet it was only fair to give her proper warning, he decided.

“You need to take a deep breath, love.”

After a moment, she did as he bid, inhaling deeply and exhaling in a controlled rush.

“Again,” he ordered, waiting until she had complied twice more. “Are you calm yet?”

“No, why?”

“Because I want to know if you will respond in the same way when I kiss you.”